Become a Community Connect Volunteer With Shepway Sports Trust
We want you to help us encourage the residents of Shepway to keep moving, keep healthy and inspire others in the community to try something new, in Folkestone and beyond!
We are asking for a minimum of 2-3 hours of your time per week to get involved with this exciting project. We appreciate you lead busy lives and so there will be a variety of ways to volunteer for Community Connect: you’ll choose how you’d like to volunteer your time and what you feel comfortable doing.
For example, you could help in any of the following ways:
- Attend meetings- we will discuss what’s going well with the community initiatives that we offer and what we can do to improve or adapt the sessions.
- Support a physical activity session, by either; being front of house, completing admin, coaching, officiating or setting up and clearing away.
- Lead a session, for example becoming a ‘Walk Leader’.
- Organise social events for both volunteers, and participants.
- Signpost people to local services who specialise in reducing unhealthy behaviours e.g. smoking cessation or drug & alcohol prevention and beyond.
- Help to raise awareness of current activities e.g. leafleting and attending promotional events.
- Assist with the administration of a session, e.g. taking registers.
- Mentor and support people who are attending a session for the first time.
- Gather feedback from attendees and become a voice for your peers.
- Support one-off events e.g. launch days, awards evenings.
With so many ways to volunteer your time, you’ll be guaranteed to find something which suits you – whether you’d like to do the same thing every week or try something different! There will also be plenty of opportunities to meet other like-minded people and form lasting friendships.
In return for your time, you’ll receive:
- The opportunity to access a Level 1 qualification in Lifestyle Management
- Access to ongoing workshops and courses, including first aid and safeguarding training, sports courses and more
- Free gym membership at Three Hills Sports Park in Folkestone
- Free attendance at all of our Active Communities sessions
- Shepway Sports Trust kit and clothing
- A ticket to the annual SST awards evening, with the opportunity to be nominated and shortlisted for an award in the volunteering category
- Quarterly social events for volunteers, with quarterly Volunteer Awards
We have a number of different sessions currently running and are going to be launching new sessions so that everyone in the community has something that they can access.
Some of the opportunities we have to volunteer include:
Sessions exclusively for over-50s, designed to get you moving and meet like-minded people.
Active for All
Inclusive sports session for those who may have a physical or cognitive disability.
Sessions where parents and children can get involved in sport and activities together.
Active at Work
Sport and physical activity in the workplace- either on lunch-breaks or after work.
Physical activity and sports opportunities for women only.
Multi-sport sessions for children and young people, enabling them to try a variety of sports either in a weekly session or holiday camp.
Mixed, non-contact Touch Rugby sessions for young people aimed at fitness and fun.
One-off events, including launch days, awards evening and other special occasions.
We are looking for somebody who is:
- Friendly and reliable
- Keen to give back to the local community
- Able to commit to a minimum of 2-3 hours per week
- Passionate about supporting residents of Shepway in any of the following ways: helping them to get active, change unhealthy behaviours or reduce social isolation
- Willing to work together with Shepway Sports Trust and other volunteers to come up with creative ideas
No previous experience necessary.
Please get in touch via the following methods:
- Email Aidan Willis (Projects and Volunteer Manager) A.email@example.com
- Telephone 01303 760 677
- Call in to the office at Three Hills Sports Park in Folkestone.